Re: [opensuse] 10.2 is turning into a nightmare
  • From: Clayton <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 13:08:40 +0100
> Could you expand on that? I read the man, but I don't understand it
> fully:
>
> -l Lazy unmount. Detach the filesystem from the filesystem
> hierarchy now, and cleanup all references to the
> filesystem as soon as it is not busy anymore. (Requires kernel
> 2.4.11 or later.)
>

> For instance, suppose I lazy umount a dvd that is in use. Will I be
> able to eject it inmediately? Or will it wait till whatever process
> that has it finishes? Is that it?

The way I read it, you'll have to wait. Basically, no further new
accesses will be possible, but existing ones are not forcibly
terminated.

The best of both worlds, perhaps.

If you lazy unmount a device - dvd or cd in this case, it is
immediately disconnected from the filesystem hierarchy (read the info
on -l again.. that's exactly what it says it'll do). The references
to that device are cleaned up "later"... and later can be right away
to some point in the future when whatever is keeping the device busy
lets go.

There's a bit in the man page description that everyone misses..

------------
Note that a file system cannot be unmounted when it is 'busy' - for
example, when there are open files on it, or when some process has its
working directory there, or when a swap file on it is in use. The
offending process could even be umount itself - it opens libc, and libc
in its turn may open for example locale files. A lazy unmount avoids
this problem.
-------------

The lazy unmount doesn't solve the problem.. just provides a way
around the problem.

I've used this lazy unmount thing in the past (back in earlier
versions of SUSE, before the whole automount hal thing was added in),
and was able to immediately eject the cd. If an application was using
the cd, the app would crash - eg using MPlayer to play media off CDROM
and I lazy umounted the cd drive while it was being accessed, Mplayer
would crash and I could eject the CD.

It's been ages since I needed to do this... so things may have
changed.... but it should in theory still work. For those that know
this better, feel free to correct me :-) Wouldn't be the first time I
was off target here.

C.