Re: [opensuse] 10.2 is turning into a nightmare - ps
  • From: "Peter Van Lone" <petervl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 19:22:58 -0600
On 2/11/07, Brian J Berrigan <bberrign@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Worse still is all the inane replies they incite. Linux is NOT MS, thank
heaven, and for most of us it is easy to READ the F_Manuals, then if
needed, dig up some HOWTO's and archives or ask intelligent questions
of the helpful gurus here. But you just seem to relish the puerile
attention you get by messing up installations and then ranting on and on.
Guess you know your emails are now blocked here...give me a break...

here is the rub of divergent goals in the linux community. I really
have no problem rolling up my sleeves to figure stuff out ...
especially when I am doing so to entertain my private desire (and glee
in) avoiding M$ payments tripe.

However, much of my time working with linux is done with an eye
towards helping my customers get off of the M$ bandwagon to the
greatest extent possilble. for the most part, they CANNOT do that,
when the installation and support issues are as unresolved as they
are.

I need to be able to help them in a way that will allow them to be
comfortable that "they can do it" without having to hire linux admins
with 15 years experience. I need to be able to put together
installation procedures and hardware support guidlines and etc ... so
that they can do this.

It is here that I *personally* get frustrated, because of:

1) my own lack of experience and
2) the lack of polish in many basic procedures/processes.

Far too much relies on "sweat of the brow" work ... (remember, this is
all MY OPINION)

Despite the above, I do think it is close ... and I would surely love
to find a commuity of SUSE users/admins that want to share
ideas/complaints/suggestions for how to make SUSE linux much more
popular, and much more likely to actually have a chance of taking some
M$ marketshare.

This list, unfortunately, is not it. There are many many helpful
people on this list ... but for the most part it seems to be folks
that relish the current "outsider" quality of linux, and I think
generally do not want linux (or, "thier distro perhaps) to penetrate
deeply into the corporate desktop and/or home markets. That's fine, I
get it. But I want it to grow, and I think lots of others do, too ...
and for it to grow it needs more polish.

You can say that such criticism is "M$ baiting" or simply an inanity
if you want. But, to me ... it is struggling and hoping to one day
find linux in the "M$ defeating" camp.

Linux is: Freedom, of choice, from gates & windows, from
illegal monopolies.

And I do not think that the above expressed desires are at odds with
or wholly incompatible with the realities of free choice and OSS in
general.

Peter