[opensuse] Quote indicators [Was: 10.2 is turning into a nightmare - ps]
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 21:53:44 +0100 (CET)

The Sunday 2007-02-11 at 08:34 -0800, Charles R. Buchanan wrote:

> Let's see, let's do an experiment shall we?
>
> here is part of one of my replies

> Here's part of another reply using the "normal" way:

> Same amount of area being taken up. Seen way worst ones about. I don't
> know, maybe it is JUST me, but I'm usualy reading what someone says
> instead of what's sitting on the left margin! :-D

It's not a question of area. The ">" is standard and understood by mail
programs. For instance, some may use one color for new text, another for
">" quoted text, another for ">>" quoted text, etc. We are used to that
quoting style, so a different one like yours is distracting. Also, if I
get a text like:

> quote
>> quote
>> quote quote quote quote quote quote quote quote
>> quote quote quote

I can automatically reflow it with two keystrokes (^J^J):

> quote
>> quote quote quote quote quote quote quote quote quote quote quote quote

because the program knows how to handle it. If I try with your text:

(^_^) quote quote quote quote quote quote quote quote
(^_^) quote quote quote quote quote quote quote quote

I get this garbled thing instead:

(^_^) quote quote quote quote quote quote quote quote (^_^) quote quote
quote quote quote quote quote quote

See? :-)

What I'm surprised is that it took us so long to tell you ;-) :-P

Now, the quoting style I would like to use would be this other one:

CRB> quote quote quote

but unfortunately it is not handled properly by current mail programs; the
second level is changed thus by my Pine:

> CRB> quote quote quote

which is incorrect, it should be:

CRB>> quote quote quote

But that is Fidonet style, not email style, it seems. Or it is Pine which
is broken, dunno. The advantage is knowing better who said what.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos E. R.