Re: [opensuse] 10.2 is turning into a nightmare - ps
  • From: "Charles R. Buchanan" <charles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 12:33:50 -0800

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 13:59:56 -0600, "Peter Van Lone" <petervl@xxxxxxxxx> took time to say the following:

>On 2/11/07, Charles R. Buchanan <charles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> So to end this, the market share is out there for the taking, just have
>> to solve these irritants IMO. With that said, SuSe has come the closest
>> to bridging that gap. They just have a ways to go in my opinion.
>
>I agree, "linux" has a way to go. I also agree that SUSE is getting
>close. But IMHO the biggest obstacle currently (or the item that would
>speed progress the most) is to have pre-installation agreements with
>major hardware vendors.
>
>*MOST* windows users don't interact with installation in anyway ...
>nor should they have to with linux. If the hardware is explicity
>supported by the OEM then most issues go away.
>
>having said that, I still think there are a variety of things (some
>small, some more to do with process, some major like DVD licensing)
>that need to be addressed. I wish there was a wiki somewhere that a
>list of these things could be posted/maintained/argued about and where
>Novell would pay some attention to it. I would think that the "better
>desktop initiative" would want that kind of involvement.

Granted on one level, it's nice to be able to configure things to ones
liking(s), and that's fine and dandy, but for the most part, major
things like video drivers and the such, it should be a lot painless than
it is.

>> For what is a man, what has he got?
>> If not himself, then he has naught
>> To say the things he truly feels and not the words of one who kneels
>
>I'm curious, what is the source of this quote?
>
>peter

Frank Sinatra. (Yes, I know it's a Paul Anka song) :-) In this world
of politcally correctness, it's hard to find someone who doesn't kneel!