Re: [opensuse] 10.2 is turning into a nightmare - ps
  • From: "Charles R. Buchanan" <charles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 11:44:31 -0800

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 13:07:23 -0600, "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx> took time to say the following:

>On Sunday 11 February 2007 10:28, Charles R. Buchanan wrote:
>> I used the smiley faces
>> to lighten things up because (some) people are just way too serious
>> about stuff that really isn't about life or death.
>
>KMail has ability to colorize what comes after quote marker which is by
>default set to > and that is information for KMail how to format received
>email. If you set quote marker to something else than reading is somewhat
>harder, but thanks to huge markers :-) even without colors it is not really
>hard.
>
>--
>Regards, Rajko.

Thanks Rajko. Gonna have to try that once I'm back on that side of the
world! :-) I use Becky here on Windows because it's the best one I have
found, and trust me, over the years, I have tried a LOT of email clients.
:-O I use KMail on Linux. I just wish everything I wish to do on Linux
wasn't a giant PITA fistfight everytime just to do something simple.

<rant>

Some might disagree or have a problem with it, but the possibilty of
Linux ever replacing Windows in this household is nil. I install the
drivers for my video card on XP, re-boot, it works. Don't have to
install the drivers, then run a command afterwards and then find out
that now after doing all of this, it won't even launch the GUI.

I have a 5.1 sound system hooked up. Sounds fantastic under XP, sounds
like crap under Linux. No matter what I do with the mixer, or the
equalizer on xmms. At least with xmms I can play mp3's. This is why I
said awhile back that these things are the reason(s) why Linux isn't
ready for primetime. It's not that Linux sucks and the other BS that
people like to throw out there, especially against M$. I'm not here
defending M$, but until Linux gets to the point where one doesn't have
to jump through hoops just to do something that "should" be automatic,
it will be hard pressed to win over most people who are using Windows.
Competition is ALWAYS good!

The BIGGEST advantage over Windows that I like about Linux is, you don't
have to re-boot twenty times when installing either the OS itself, or a
program. It saves wear and tear on your hardware. So IMHO, in order for
Linux to hugely cut into the home user market (which it's trying to do),
it has to solve these issues. A lot of people see Linux more as a
business type OS. You setup a server using Linux and basically forget it.
It usually runs forever, but you have to admit that a lot of software
developers aren't jumping on the bandwagon because there's no market for
them. Most home users use Windows. Windows isn't free, and in a free
market, business aren't in business to NOT make money.

So to end this, the market share is out there for the taking, just have
to solve these irritants IMO. With that said, SuSe has come the closest
to bridging that gap. They just have a ways to go in my opinion.

</rant>

For what is a man, what has he got?
If not himself, then he has naught
To say the things he truly feels and not the words of one who kneels