[opensuse] GRUB issues at stage 1.5
  • From: Christopher Dick <jcdick1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 11:52:55 -0800 (PST)
I recently installed SuSE 10.2 on a couple of machines
using SATA drives and they each seem to be exhibiting
a similar problem.

They won't boot unless I choose "Boot installed
system" from the CD.

I did a check, and right from the get-go the two
copies of Stage2 are not the same. MD5 comes up with
a different hash for each, though I was under the
impression that they were supposed to be the same.

GRUB definitely loads, but just stops cold after the
Stage 1.5. On the machine that also has Windows, the
WinXP install comes up just fine. But Linux is dead.

While this has probably been discussed before, there
seem to be a number of GRUB-related posts and I can't
tell if any of them pertain to me or not.

Any help is appreciated.