Re: [opensuse] LILO/Grub Problem Solved
  • From: Bob S <usr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 00:56:22 -0500
On Wednesday 07 February 2007 06:00, Joe Morris (NTM) wrote:
> Bob S wrote:
> > ### Added 10.0 Boot ###
> > title openSUSE 10.0
> > root (hd1,0)
> > kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6-15.13-default root=/dev/hdb1 vga=0x31a
> > resume=/dev/hdb2 splash=silent showopts
> > initrd /boot/initrd-2.6-15.13-default
> >------------------- It does wrap in this outgoing e-mail at "resume" for
> > 10.0.It is all one line in my Menu.1st.
>
> Try dropping the version info, i.e. vmlinuz instead of
> vmlinuz-2.6.-15.13-default, and that is your problem, it is actually
> 2.6.15.13, no dash between 6 and 15. But use vmlinuz and initrd without
> the version, which will use the symlinks (which BTW was what your lilo
> used).

Joe, especially you, and Darryl, and all the others who contributed and tried
to help. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You. That worked!

I can now boot into 10.0 where all of my important stuff is. You cannot
imagine how happy I am !

Soooo, the problem finally and basically boils down to the Yast Bootloader
which I had to edit. (aside from my dumb assumptions and mistakes)
Sooo....now if I understand this correctly my 10.0 and windows hard drives
are booting from Grub instead of LILO.

Am going to abandon any further work on 10.2 for at least a week. I was only
setting it up as a test bed anyway. Many more problems than just this booting
thing. ie. sound settings don't work from boot to boot, can't see linux
partitions on the other drives, hal doesn't work properly, etc. etc. But
they will be all separate questions in the future when I am ready to tackle
this again.

Thanks again guys. This is the greatest list in all of Linux world

Bob S