Re: [opensuse] LILO/Grub Problem
  • From: Darryl Gregorash <raven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 23:11:25 -0600
On 2007-02-06 22:55, Bob S wrote:
> <snip>
>
> Rebooted, and 10.0 showed up in the boot menu. Some success I guess. But now
> it fails with an Error 15 File not found. Grrrr......Did some Googling on
> the grub error 15 but didn't find anything that I thought would pertain to
> this.

All the grub errors are in the grub info files, in the "troubleshooting"
section for stage 2. Make sure you have the "info" package installed,
then run "info grub". Basically, the error means all the syntax for
disk/partition info is correct, but a file cannot be found. Did the
error message specify which file it could not find?
> <snip>
>
> ### Added 10.0 Boot ###
> title openSUSE 10.0
> root (hd1,0)
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6-15.13-default root=/dev/hdb1 vga=0x31a
> resume=/dev/hdb2 splash=silent showopts
> initrd /boot/initrd-2.6-15.13-default
Boot to 10.2, then mount /dev/hdb1, and check for the presence of the
correct kernel and initrd files. One or both of them is not present for
error 15 to occur.

You should not even have to specify the exact versions of the files.
There should be symlinks, kernel and initrd respectively, pointing to
the current files.

--
Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo. -- HG Wells