Re: [opensuse] device.map - Darryl/Carl/Boyd
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 10:44:34 -0500
Carl William Spitzer IV wrote:
On Fri, 2007-02-02 at 17:56 -0500, Mike McMullin wrote:
As far as I know, it won't, but I'm not an MS Guru. Someone mentioned
Norton Anti Virus (and IIRC McAffee) might have auto-repaired the boot
sector thinking it might have been changed due to virus activity. I do
remember having this "fixed" for me a few times before finding the
setting to not "fix" it. Let me clarify one thing, you did the Grub
install and then re-booted, and it went into XP without showing the Grub
menu, correct?

Norton System Works '06 edition was roundly criticized for this since it
also affected American tax software which also demanded changes to the
MBR.

Lets hope '07 corrects this. Dumb idea to use the boot sector for
anything but booting systems.

Why would a tax program have to change the MBR???