Re: [opensuse] autoyast ... can the xml file be used with just a simple dvd install?
  • From: Stanislav Visnovsky <visnov@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 13:55:03 +0100
Dňa Po 5. Február 2007 17:03 Peter Van Lone napísal:
> On 2/5/07, Stanislav Visnovsky <visnov@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Yes, control file is the XML file generated by AutoYaST or by the
> > cloning at the end of the installation.
>
> that is very good, thank you.
>
> Now, one or two more "can it do this" questions, and if the answer is
> yes, I'll go to the docs to figure out the HOW:
>
> 1)if I want to do a basic install, then set some environment values
> perhaps, or add in a package or two that were forgotten in the
> original install, can I create the autoyast.xml at this point so that
> it captures these changes? (again, I don't want or need all the
> complexity of an install source on the network, etc ... I just want to
> be able to duplicate and automate a few installs using the xml file on
> a floppy and the dvd installation method)

You can always edit the autoyast.xml file by hand. In fact, it was designed
from the beginning to support hand-editting.

> 2)will this procedure still "identify" hardware? So, for example, if I
> want an exact duplicate package selection and disk partitioning, but
> the monitor is different, or the system board is different, etc ...
> will the auto installs using autoyast.xml work for this?

Yes. That's the real beauty of AutoYaST and also its curse. Because you need
testing to see if everything went fine - just to warn you beforehand.

Stano