Re: [opensuse] Fact or Fiction? Possible Novell Ban
  • From: "Cristian Rodriguez R." <judas_iscariote@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 15:43:28 -0300
James Montgomery escribió:
> This morning on Slashdot I read an article discussing the possibility of Novell being banned from distributing linux.
>
> Here is an excerpt:
>
> Reuters is reporting that Novell may be banned from selling Linux.

Linux copyright is not owned by the FSF, Linux distrbution components
rights are owned by large number of individuals, business and
institutions around the world.

> the Free Software Foundation is reviewing Novell's right to sell the
> operating system at all.

FSF is not a law enforcement institution, __only courts___ can decide on
that.

> The foundation controls the rights to key parts of the operating system,

With the notable exclusion of the most important part, the kernel that
wont be licensed under GPLv3. :)

> My question is, will this effect OpenSuSE, and if so, how?

no, because that information is false and misleading.. that is called
FUD. ;-)