Re: [opensuse] LILO/Grub Problem
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 08:40:58 -0600
On Sunday 04 February 2007 01:05, Joe Morris (NTM) wrote:
> ### Added 10.0 Boot ###
> title openSUSE 10.0
>     root (hd1,0)
>     kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb1 vga=0x31a resume=/dev/hdb2
> splash=silent showopts initrd /boot/initrd

I use my /dev/hda1 installation for the same purpose as it is used separate
boot partition in Bob's.

It has complete /boot directory that is used completely only for version that
is installed on /dev/hda1 (stable version). For all other versions, installed
on other partitions, are used the grub related entries in /boot/grub
and /boot/message file while kernel stuff for each version is located on
coresponding partition in /boot directory.

This way I have no problems to update kernel using YaST, and I don't try my
luck by overwriting MBR on each installation. I have good base for repairs of
installations on other partitions. Even if I move new version that deserves
attribute stable to /dev/hda1 everything still works if I keep
same /boot/grub/menu.lst.

The only quirk is that I have to use Advanced tab in Instalation proposal to
tell SUSE installer not to install grub. Than later to edit manually section
for particular partition in /boot?grub/menu.lst on /dev/hda1. With new SUSE
versions that is mostly change in line
title SUSE <version>
the rest is generic.

BTW, have anybody tested how is handled resume option on systems with few
installations. Is it possible to happen that you request suspend to disk in
one installation and resume in another that is default?

--
Regards, Rajko.
http://en.opensuse.org/Portal