Re: [opensuse] Re: autoyast ... can the xml file be used with just a simple dvd install?
  • From: "Hermann J. Beckers" <hjb-news@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 09:22:26 +0100
Hi Peter

> What I DON'T know ... and have yet to find in the docs, is whether I
> can do a dvd=based "auto" install using the xml file. I guess (since
> nobody here knows, which is a surprise to me) I will have to dig
> deeper to find out.

have you seen

http://www.suse.com/~ug/autoyast_doc/bootmedium.html, especially chapter 7:

> "7.2.3. Booting via PXE over the network

Here is a small example of a "/srv/tftp/pxelinux.cfg/default" file:

default SLES9
# install SLES9
label SLES9
  kernel linux_sles9
      append initrd=initrd_sles9 vga=0x0314 install=.... autoyast=... "

Seems you can replace the 3 dots behin autoyast= with the path to the control
file.

" For testing/rescue purposes or because the NIC does not have a PROM or PXE
you can build a boot floppy to use with AutoYaST. Using a floppy to initiate
an auto-install process is limited due to the size of the data a floppy can
hold. However, it is still possible to use floppies when auto-installing a
single, disconnected machine.

 Floppies can be used to store the control file, especially when using the
original SuSE CD-ROMs for a single, disconnected machine. Using the kernel
command line, you can specify the location of the control file on the floppy.

 Even without specifying any command line options, it is still possible to
initiate the auto-install process by placing a control file on a floppy with
a special, pre-defined file name. (autoinst.xml) YaST2 will check for
autoinst.xml upon startup and if it was found it will switch from interactive
to automated installation."

HTH
hjb