Re: [opensuse] LILO/Grub Problem
  • From: Bob S <usr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 01:44:53 -0500
On Saturday 03 February 2007 23:43, Joe Morris (NTM) wrote:

> I believe so. Could you mount your boot partition and verify you have a
> vmlinuz and initrd symlinks to their respective kernel and initrd?
> Should be as easy as, in a console as root, mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt, then
> go to /mnt in Konqueror.
>
> Would love to see the fstab in your 10.0 system.

> OK, was able to mount the drive. Here is the fstab
/dev/hda2 /workspace ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 2
/dev/hda3 /datastorage ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 2
/dev/hda5 /backup ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 2
/dev/hdb1 / ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 1
LABEL=data /data ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 2
LABEL=home /home ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 2
LABEL=local /local ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 2
LABEL=opt /opt ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 2
LABEL=usr /usr ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 2
LABEL=var /var ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 2
/dev/hda1 /c vfat
users,rw,gid=users,umask=0000 0 0
/dev/hdb2 swap swap defaults 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs noauto 0 0
usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs noauto 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5 0 0
/dev/dvdrecorder /media/ subfs
noauto,fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0
/dev/cdrecorder /media/ subfs
noauto,fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy subfs
noauto,fs=floppyfss,procuid,nodev,nosuid,sync 0 0
none /subdomain subdomainfs noauto 0 0
As you can see, I was able to mount my ext3 partitions which are on /dev/hda
also.

Here is LILO config
# Modified by YaST2. Last modification on Sat Dec 31 02:10:21 UTC 2005

menu-scheme = Wb:kw:Wb:Wb
timeout = 80
lba32
change-rules
reset
read-only
prompt
default = Linux
message = /boot/message
boot = /dev/hda

image = /boot/vmlinuz
###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
label = Linux
append = "selinux=0 resume=/dev/hdb2 splash=silent showopts"
vga = 0x31a
initrd = /boot/initrd
root = /dev/hdb1

other = /dev/hda1
###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: windows###
label = Windows

image = /boot/vmlinuz
###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: failsafe###
label = Failsafe
append = "showopts ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off noresume selinux=0 edd=off
3"
vga = normal
initrd = /boot/initrd
root = /dev/hdb1
> You could probably
> mkdir /data1, then use Yast Partitioner to mount the old 10.0 root lvm
> partition to /data1 to get to it.

I'm afraid I don't understand. I don't know what you mean by using the
partitioner to mount the LVM partition.

> > Yes it is called dev/hdb3 like normal and is designated Linux LVM.
>
> Where are you seeing this?

By looking directly at the partition table in Yast Partioner.

> > FYI There
> > is another entry further down in the table that is the exact same size
> > and is identified as /dev/system and is designated LVM2 System.
>
> That might be it. You could try changing the root=/dev/hdb3 to
> root=(hd1,2)/dev/system.

No, tried it. (hd1,2)?? (Why that?) Anyway, I still get the error19 message
about kernel before initrd.

Bless you Joe, and I can't thank you enough for helping me. I am sure we are
close now. Stick with me and I will check back tomorrow night. (after the
Superbowl, priorities you know)

Bob S