Re: [opensuse] Fact or Fiction? Possible Novell Ban
  • From: Clayton <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 17:18:24 +0100
This morning on Slashdot I read an article discussing the possibility of Novell being banned from distributing linux.

And one of the very first reactions is someone pointing out this link....
Which says...
------------------------------
According to a recent Reuters report, the Free Software Foundation's
(FSF) board was going to be looking into Novell Inc.'s rights to
continue selling its version of the Linux operating system. That,
however, is not actually what will be happening.

Eben Moglen, the Software Freedom Law Center's executive director and
an FSF board member, explained: "This is a story being hyped by the
Reuters guy who wrote it."

The Reuters quote was: "The community of people wants to do anything
they can to interfere with this deal and all deals like it. They have
every reason to be deeply concerned that this is the beginning of a
significant patent aggression by Microsoft."

"What he actually asked me," said Moglen in an email interview, "was
'Is it true that some members of the community want GPLv3 to keep
Novell from distributing future versions of GPL'd software?' I said,
'Yes, the Free Software Foundation is opposed to the deal, and is
thinking about what to do; there will be a new draft soon [of the
GPLv3]" (GNU General Public License Version 3).