Re: [opensuse] Switching keyboard layouts
  • From: "Mark Goldstein" <goldstein.mark@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 13:07:30 +0200
On 2/3/07, Sergey Mkrtchyan <crusoe@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi List,

What I want is to be able to switch different keyboard layouts by
shortcut keys. Currently I have three layouts(english, russian and
armenian). The default, which I can see in Keyboard Shortcuts section in
Control Center is Alt+Ctrl+k, but when I use it and it successfully
switches to russian layout, then it doesn't work for russian-armenian
switching. I guess that being russian it's not Alt+Ctrl+k anymore.

So, I've added alternate shortcut, for russian Alt+Ctrl+k key sequence,
but it doesn't seem to be a solution, because then how do I switch from
armenian back to english.

I've also played with the xkb Options(though not knowing what it is, but
it doesn't seem to be what I'm looking for).

Am I missing something?

Hi Sergey,

I also have 3 different layouts, but I'm using "Window" key to switch
them (it is independent from current layout). Some years back I used
ALT-SHIFT to switch as well, but then decided that it could be nice to
make Windows do at least something useful :-).
My current version is 10.2 but it was the same in 10.0. This is a line
from InputDevice section of xorg.conf:

Option "XkbOptions" "grp:rwin_toggle,grp:lwin_toggle,grp_led:scroll"

(that is I want that both left and right window key will switch layout
and I want Scroll LED to indicate alternative layout"

I made it from SOX2, but in 10.0 you can safely do it manually (in
10.2 you'll need to re-calculate md5 checksum for xorg.conf if you
edit it manually).

--
Mark Goldstein