Re: [opensuse] Battery expecntancy
  • From: Kai Ponte <kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 13:26:38 -0800
On Thursday 01 February 2007 21:21, Mark Panen wrote:
> Hi
>
> What kind of battery time do you guys get on your notebooks ? I bought
> a new one on Monday and it is supposed to get up to 4 hours but i only
> get 1 hour 40 minutes. I have charged and discharged the battery a
> couple of times. I wonder if it's the wireless that takes all the
> power.The battery meter kpowersave freezes sometimes as well.

Mark:

Hopefully adding to some already very good responses, I've found the following
on my more recent Linux laptops. (My P133 running mandrake 6 didn't even have
power saving options.)

There is a setting somewhere - I forget exactly where - that allows you to
step down your processor unless needed. When I'm plugged in, I'm at full
processor power (1.6GHz) but when I'm on battery, I'm usually running at
800MHz, unless I'm doing something intenstive like TuxKart or watching a
video.

This will greately extend your battery time. Up until recently, I carpooled
and would often have my laptop on and in battery mode for over two hours.
--
kai

Free Compean and Ramos
http://www.perfectreign.com/?q=node/46