Re: [opensuse] Suse 10.2 shared printer + Mac OSX (solved)
  • From: Art Fore <art.fore@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 22:24:46 +0800
On Fri, 2007-02-02 at 06:34 +0800, Joe Morris (NTM) wrote:
> jim barnes wrote:
> > Let me clarify:
> > http://cups_server:631/printers/laserjet2300
> > should be the correct uri
> >
> > From a browser in osx and the url: http://cups_server:631/printers
> > you should see the laserjet2300
> >
> Just to clarify a bit more, since I don't think Art caught it, that
> would be http://192.168.xxx.xxx:631/printers/laserjet2300, meaning
> protocol, IP address of cups server (if DNS is working, can be
> resolvable name), cups port, top level path of queue, queue name. HTH
>
> --
> Joe Morris
> Registered Linux user 231871 running openSUSE 10.2 x86_64

Turned out to be http:192.168.xx.xx:631/printers/laserjet2300series.
laserjet2300series is what it shown in localhost:631 as the printer name
on the server.

If I select http on the apple cups, it puts in port 80 instead of 631.

Thanks to all for their input. Have a friend who is trying to print to
laserjet 1022 via wireless router to usb print server, but also has had
no success. Works with Windows and with Windows under parallels on the
apple, but not directly from the apple. Also work with the applle when
the printer is plugged in as usb printer. He is leaving for Shanghai
tomorrow, but when he gets back, will try and help him. Will see if what
I learned here applies to his situation.

I think what is confusing is what the printer name should be, but guess
the best way to find this out is to look at localhost:631 instead of
yast hardware printers.

Art