Re: [opensuse] cron job email attachment.bin
  • From: "Joe Morris (NTM)" <Joe_Morris@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 20:59:09 +0800
Sandy Drobic wrote:
> Dave Howorth wrote:
>

>> Two days ago, I happened to spot that root on that machine has
>> LC_CTYPE=en_GB.UTF-8
>> I wondered if that might have anything to do with my problem, and I
>> added explicit LC_CTYPE=C statements in the cron/backup scripts. The
>> next backup run produced plain text, so I thought I'd solved it. So I
>> took my LC_CTYPE=C statements out again in order to prove that was the
>> factor. But this morning the log is still plain text! So I'm still confused.
>>

> Grin! Keep up the digging. Hopefully you will unearth some more settings
> to make programs behave and send in plain text. (^-^)

Since I have had the same problem with the output of logdigest (getting
sent as an attachment) on my 10.2, I decided to check root's LANG
environment. It was set to POSIX, while my user is set to en_US.UTF-8.
I found this info on POSIX from Google (
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg1IC34244 ) that says
POSIX cannot handle characters > 127 ascii. I had never even thought of
roots LANG setting, and I cannot now say I understand what it means.
What should it be? Would this cause mailx to decide it is not plain
text? I did change /etc/sysconfig/language ROOT_USES_LANG to yes from
ctype, and now root also has en_US.UTF-8, so I will see if it does
anything tomorrow I guess. I just checked my 9.3 server where logdigest
works, and env | grep LANG returns nothing for root. so maybe?

--
Joe Morris