Re: [opensuse] device.map - Darryl/Carl/Boyd
  • From: Carl Hartung <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 07:17:13 -0500
On Thu February 1 2007 00:41, Charles R. Buchanan wrote:
> I'm not certain if I posted it or not, but the version numbers are the
> same.

The correct actions at this point are to:

a. verify that symlinks exist under /boot for:

initrd -> initrd-2.6.18.2-34-default
vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-2.6.18.2-34-default

then, in menu.lst:

b. reduce "initrd-2.6.18.2-34-default" to "initrd" (every instance)
c. reduce "vmlinuz-2.6.18.2-34-default" to "vmlinuz" (ditto)

This allows menu.lst to remain as-is when the kernel is next updated. If you
*don't* fix this and the kernel is updated, grub will attempt to boot the
previous kernel and fail. (I'd still like to know where these version
suffixes came from!)

**Note** While you're in the vicinity, can you please make note of and post
the contents of /etc/grub.conf ?

> After re-checking the fstab, menu.lst and device.map files, I decided to
> give it a try.

Just so I'm clear on what you're saying here, "re-checking" means you'd
already verified/repaired these files to match my recommendation and were
just 'sanity checking' your work before trying to boot... right? :-)

> I have some good news and some not so bad news I guess. I went to
> re-install the bootloader, and it did NOT give me the error it has been
> giving me.

This seems to be good news, but with one caveat: In my experience, YaST's boot
loader configuration module will update configuration files until the cows
come home but will *not* touch the mbr or boot sector unless
specifically /forced/ to do so. In previous incarnations, you had to select
the option "force write everything" to accomplish this. I haven't studied the
current version to see where this option is set.

> That's the "good" news. the "not so bad news" is, There's
> still no grub bootloader when the computer boots up. :-( It still goes
> straight into XP.

The bootloader wasn't successfully installed at the last attempt. Either that,
or XP 'repaired' it.

> Which will be the default anyway if the bootloader was
> actually functioning.

If you accepted the default bootloader configuration, the default would now be
openSUSE 10.2 ;-)

regards,

Carl