Re: [opensuse] Interesting Boot Problem
  • From: kanenas <kanenas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 20:52:35 -1000
On Wednesday 31 January 2007 17:00, M Harris wrote:
> On Wednesday 31 January 2007 18:03, Stuart Knock wrote:
> > I've
> > changed
> > nothing since the last boot except
>
> This is user lie #742.
>
> Well, when I was on the service desk and somebody tried to feed me lie
> #742 I would always say, "That's great... 'cause if you changed nothing
> since the last time it worked... it still works... have a nice day".
> Almost invariably they would admit that there were a couple of hundred
> insignificant things that they changed... but really they are certain NONE
> of them have anything to do with this 'cause nothing else has been changed!
>
> Outside of a massive illogical hardware failure (probably BIOS related)
> there is no way that what is being described happened. This kind of stuff
> always rips my heart out.
>

> --
> Kind regards,
>
> M Harris <><

This one CAN happen without operator intervention. What grub sees as hd0 can
be changed through the "hard drive boot priority list", accessible through
the bios settings. If there is a power failure or some other abrupt
interruption of the system, the bios can reset to "default" settings, which
can be different from the working setup. I believe the standard default is
that hda is what grub calls hd0. The reason I know this is because it has
happened in my biostar 3800+ mobo.