Re: [opensuse] Interesting Boot Problem
  • From: "Joe Morris (NTM)" <Joe_Morris@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 08:34:41 +0800
Stuart Knock wrote:
> I've just installed openSuSE 10.2, everything went fine, all hardware
> was identified,
> my primary hard drive mapped to sda, my ARECA raid neatly mapped to
> sdb, all
> was right in the world... Then, for some reason, today when I rebooted
> the system
> my primary drive mapped to sdb and my raid array mapped to sda... I've
> changed
> nothing since the last boot except trivial stuff like adding user
> accounts etc. Naturally the
> boot process now fails as it can't mount the root file system, as it's
> looking for it
> on sda2 which as I said now points to my big empty raid array. Several
> hours of web
> searching has left me with the impression that I should be able to
> force the physical
> devices (some sort of BIOS naming) to map to a static logical device
> (sda...), but
> I'm not sure what files to edit and what the syntax would be??? Any
> help would be
> greatly appreciated.

This sounds like a BIOS problem to me. Does your BIOS allow you to set
the order of which drives to boot? Do you reach the GRUB boot menu?
How do you know how the drives are now mapped? Is the RAID you have
using the fake raid setup in your BIOS or an actual RAID controller? It
sounds like your BIOS switched the drives on GRUB (but if so, since I
assume grub was only installed on the MBR of sda it would no longer even
try to boot).

--
Joe Morris