Re: [opensuse] device.map - Darryl/Carl/Boyd
  • From: Darryl Gregorash <raven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 16:09:46 -0600
On 2007-01-31 14:34, Carl Hartung wrote:
> On Wed January 31 2007 15:18, Darryl Gregorash wrote:
>
>> Initrd? Vmlinuz? I never even looked at that. There should be symlinks,
>> <snip>
>>

> Well, this thread has multiplied substantially so losing a detail here or
> there is understandable. In fact, I was momentarily puzzled when I saw the
> version numbers but got distracted before following up on it. /I/ didn't add
> them on /my/ system... could be an update script?... the bootloader

They aren't included in mine either. In fact, 9.3 didn't even put a
"root" command (I have a separate /boot partition):

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
title SUSE LINUX 9.3
kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 vga=normal selinux=0
splash=silent resume=/dev/hdb3 showopts
initrd (hd0,0)/initrd

(Without a separate /boot partition, those kernel and initrd locations
would of course be (hd0,0)/boot/<filename>.)

This entire thread has been very confusing and puzzling. I have never
seen any reports of this kind of behaviour in the grub install routines,
nor have I ever encountered a problem with those routines myself. The
only thing that comes to mind is that Charles might have inadvertently
interrupted the bootloader routine when he installed his system (unless
he sought to modify it manually, and made an error that Yast did not
catch -- no extra computer here to test out that possibility). I
certainly do not think it is an installation bug.

--
Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo. -- HG Wells