Re: [opensuse] Totally Baffled
  • From: David McMillan <skyefire@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 12:38:20 -0500
jdd wrote:
> David McMillan wrote:
>
>> Rather little, I'm afraid.
>
> I think personnally you should be very carefull not to erase your data
> by mistake.

Oh, yes indeed. Which is why I made doubly sure the NAS was unmounted
before I tried rm'ing the directory.
Fortunately for me, the NAS device has an FTP server as well as a
Samba, so I'm currently using that to copy my files before experimenting
much further.

> You should go to init 1 (maintenance mode, no network) and double check
> your directories, just in case there could be some soft or hard links
> around.
>
> I once manage to kill my original directory during backup to an usb
> device. I don't exactly understand what happen, but I had too many cross
> links for sure (the result was all the files with a zero lenght on the
> two medias starting from a simple copy with konqueror)

Ick. So far, it looks like my luck is better than that. <crossed fingers>