[opensuse] Did smbfs really disappear in 10.2?
  • From: Simon Roberts <thorpflyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 09:08:35 -0800 (PST)
Hi All,

I just came to try to make an SMB mount (looking to copy my girlfriend's files over from her I-hope-soon-to-be-old Windows machine) and in response to my attempt to do mount -t smbfs... I get prompted for a password for the remote machine (currently blank) and then the system responds with:

ERROR: smbfs filesystem not supported by the kernel
Please refer to the smbmnt(8) manual page
smbmnt failed: 255

What gives? Did smbfs really get removed from the default kernel on 10.2? I find that sufficiently suprising that I suspect something else is amiss, but I have two installs (mine--64bit, and hers, 32bit) and they both respond the same way.

Oh, for background, smbclient works fine and is able to move files over from the windows machine, so I know that the remote end is at least running more or less correctly.

If the kernel really lacks this capability. What do I need to do to get it back? Can I get it back? (It's going to be a really major loss if I can't!)

TIA,
Simon

"You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions." — Naguib Mahfouz