Re: [opensuse] Totally Baffled
  • From: David McMillan <skyefire@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 10:16:37 -0500
Hans van der Merwe wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-01-30 at 23:55 -0500, David McMillan wrote:
>> David McMillan wrote:
>>> I'm not even sure how to describe this, but I'll try.
>>> Okay: I have a small NAS device attached to my home LAN which I've
>>> been using to keep a large (~300GB) of data files on, but which is near
>>> its storage limit. So I've been trying to set up LVM (for the first
>>> time) on my 10.0 system, to create a larger archive to copy the data
>>> files to. The LVM creation process went well, as far as I can tell, and
>>> I ordered an rsync job to duplicate the original archive to the new,
>>> expanded one.
>>> But after about 36GB of copying, something incredibly weird happened:
>>> my original archive vanished from the mount list, and the rsync job
>>> stopped with a string of "no such file/directory" errors. I mean, it
>>> just *vanished* -- stopped showing up at all when I did a df. Konq
>>> started reporting "this directory/file no longer appears to be present"
>>> when I tried to navigate to it. And this is on a machine that *no one*
>>> else has access to, so I can 99% guarantee there was no human intervention.
>>> Even stranger: I couldn't remount the NAS drive for some reason,
>>> although using its HTTP access I was able to confirm that it was fine.
>>> Eventually, I just gave up and rebooted. And now, this (I should note
>>> that my NAS is normally mounted to /archives, and the LVM volume to
>>> /archives2):
>

> Can you access some debug info on the NAS through the HTTP interface?

Rather little, I'm afraid. But I'm able to access the NAS device via
Samba normally from my Windows systems on the same LAN, and my SUSE 10.0
system can still access the NAS via its FTP service (which I'm currently
using to pull the information off).
Also, I've found some more odd behavior: I experimented by creating a
whole new empty directory and mounting the NAS device to it. The moment
I mounted the NAS device to it, *that* directory vanished from the ls
display, but showed up in df. When I umounted, ls started showing it
again. It's almost as if the act of mounting something to the directory
is causing the directory to 'get lost,' somehow.