  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 11:43:49 +0100 (CET)

The Wednesday 2007-01-31 at 01:02 -0900, John Andersen wrote:

> On Wednesday 31 January 2007, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> > Nowhere did I claim, nor even hint, that «that speex and vorbis are not
> > violating someone's patent». That's your saying.
> >

> That's exactly my point. I've read patent claims against those two formats
> on the web in the past, as well as the patent claims for the encoding algorithms used to
> encode flac.

Well, again acording to the wikipedia, that's just FUD.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vorbis#Licensing>

| ... The Xiph.Org Foundation states that Vorbis, like all its
| developments, is completely free from the licensing or patent issues
| raised by other proprietary formats such as MP3. Although Xiph.Org
| states it has conducted a patent search that supports its claims,
| outside parties (notably engineers working on rival formats) have
| expressed doubt that Vorbis is free of patented technology.[4]
|
| Xiph.Org maintains that it was privately issued a legal opinion subject
| to attorney/client privilege. It has not released an official statement
| on the patent status of Vorbis, pointing out that such a statement is
| technically impossible due to the number and scope of patents in
| existence and the questionable validity of many of them. Such issues
| cannot be resolved outside of a court of law. Some Vorbis proponents
| have derided the uncertainty concerning the patent status as "FUD":
| misinformation spread by large companies with a vested interest.
|
| Ogg Vorbis is supported by several large digital audio player
| manufacturers such as Samsung, Rio, Neuros Technology, Cowon, and
| iRiver. Many feel that the growing support for the Vorbis codec within
| the industry supports their interpretation of its patent status, as
| multinational corporations are unlikely to distribute software with
| questionable legal status. The same could be said about its growing
| popularity in other commercial enterprises like mainstream computer
| games.

> So it seems to me its unsafe to assume, merely because the current rush to ogg is in vouge,
> that any real escape from this patent nonsense is possible.

To say that is probably similar to M$ claims of Linux violating their
pattents. Just FUD, unless they prove it in court.

Anyway... software pattents are nonsensical :-(

- --
Cheers,
Carlos E. R.

< Previous Next >