Re: [opensuse] Please help with Suse 10.2 install
  • From: Carl Hartung <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 05:18:21 -0500
On Tue January 30 2007 22:34, Emily Berk wrote:
<snip>
> That's not looking likely with this particular hardware device, huh? Sigh.

Hi Emily,

A quick Google on "Linux IBM eServer xSeries 200" reveals some models were
certified by Novell for SLES 8 (circa June 2004):

see http://developer.novell.com/yes/75367.htm

You should continue this line of research by expanding/revising search terms
to include various details like mainboard & chipset to see if others have
posted a solution for this problem.

I recently tackled a system that the 10.2 installer failed to boot despite
trying all parameters and combinations thereof. My Knoppix mini CD also
failed.

After 'Googling' various combinations of "Linux " + the precise mainboard and
chipset model numbers, I discovered many, many threads describing the same
problem. I eventually uncovered one where the OP, after a very long trial and
error session, successfully booted it with a "Frenzy BSD 1.0" live CD.

I downloaded the CD image, burned a copy, tried booting with it and the system
quickly launched to a working desktop. The story stops here because I haven't
yet figured out how to get 10.2 installed. It seems to be possible,
theoretically, but it needs more research and troubleshooting.

Good luck!

Carl