  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 10:48:59 +0100 (CET)

The Tuesday 2007-01-30 at 19:46 -0900, John Andersen wrote:

> On Tuesday 30 January 2007, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> > Interestingly, ogg might use mp3 as the audio codec. >;-)
> >
> > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogg#Ogg_codecs>
>
> So then those who preach ogg from the hill tops are still
> not necessarily any more free of patents until they prove
> that speex and vorbis are not violating someone's patent?

I never said that. Please reread carefully what I said. I used the
conditional "might", and also a peculiar smiley meaning irony.

Ogg is a container format (according to the link above). The audio (and
video) may be in many formats, some of them free (I hope), but it also can
contain mp3, which is not. Thus, it might happen that somebody apears to
be using ogg in the filename, and internally be using mp3.

That can be deduced from the wikipedia scerpt I posted:

| Being a Container format, Ogg can embed audio and video in various
| formats (such as MPEG-4, Dirac, MP3 and others) but usually Ogg is used
| with the following

Nowhere did I claim, nor even hint, that «that speex and vorbis are not
violating someone's patent». That's your saying.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos E. R.