  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 17:11:13 +0100 (CET)

The Tuesday 2007-01-30 at 14:11 +0100, Juergen Weigert wrote:

> On Jan 30, 07 00:12:48 -0900, John Andersen wrote:
> > Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the loss involved in mp3
> > format was suffered in the encoding. Playback is 100% faithful to the
> > encoded file (not the original), and nothing more is lost in playback.
>
> Yes, decoding (i.e. mp3 to wav) comes at no additional loss.
> (Unless the decoder sucks.)

Playback is ok, but the previous encoding was lossy. The idea is, more or
less, to neglect parts of the sound that the human ear will not notice:
they are not encoded, or they are substituted by another waveform that
tricks the ear (or, rather the brain processing what the ear gets). Have a
look at <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mp3#Encoding_audio> for better info
than my memory.

> Re-encoding into ogg has additional loss.
> Not only due to a limited bitrate, but due to several other factors too.
> (You may try oggenc from package vorbis-tools, if sox sucks.)

The thing is, ogg works more or less like mp3, but using different
algorithms (they have to be different, the others are patented or
whatever); and when reencoding, it is not working on the original sound,
but on a reconstructed one that has missing parts.

The reencoding result can never be good. Maybe good enough for a noisy
car, but then, why would people spend money on a good radio or player for
a car when it will not be truly appreciated?

> And yes, we need a much easier mp3-solution for SUSE Linux, than we have now.
> Crippleware is not the way to go. Crippleware may satisfy some lawyers, but
> always annoys our users.

Yes... it is unfortunate, but I don't see a solution.

Interestingly, ogg might use mp3 as the audio codec. >;-)

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogg#Ogg_codecs>
| Being a Container format, Ogg can embed audio and video in various
| formats (such as MPEG-4, Dirac, MP3 and others) but usually Ogg is used
| with the following:
|
| * Audio codecs
| o lossy
| + Speex: handles voice data at low bitrates (~8-32
| kbit/s/channel)
| + Vorbis: handles general audio data at mid- to
| high-level variable bitrates (~16-500 kbit/s/channel)
| o lossless
| + FLAC: handles archival and high fidelity audio data

- --
Cheers,
Carlos E. R.