Re: [opensuse] (incomplete) list of possibilities (and impossibilities) to play mp3 on SuSE 10.2
  • From: Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 17:00:57 +0800

> Zhang Weiwu wrote:
> > I think I have called enough attention (and created a lot of confusion)
> > to the mp3 issue, thank you for caring about this and discuss about it.
> > As more people start paying attention on issues the issues are likely
> > getting solved faster. And this post is for the users who look for an
>
> Listen, your post was pretty high on the trollmeter, and "As more people
> start paying attention on issues the issues are likely getting solved
> faster."... wth ?

Thanks for bring this hotter ;)

> - - unless you use Ogg/Vorbis, the issue isn't solved and is never going
> to be solved; the only "solution" right now is Helix or fluendo (through
> a piece of junk named gstreamer)

I guess I listed several alternative solutions at the end of my original
email. You can consider the only solution is ogg/vorbis, well I
recognize that is a very good impractical solution. I will keep thinking
the alternative solutions I listed are solutions that making sense,
unless you write your reason convince me they are not. So please critise
based on the list of solutions I have had. Critise it, the stronger the
better. I need to be convinced ;)

> - - you really think you're the first person asking for this ?
>
> And the solution is right here:
> http://opensuse-community.org/Restricted_Formats/10.2

Yes, and this page is given to me when the very first time I ask about
mp3 issue and I did read through. And then why I still look for a
solution? Because that page is not enough, it didn't list solutions to
all problems we are facing, not even better half of them (e.g. what
about other lots of players on Gnome? what about totem as the default
player? What about Rhythmbox? And Beep Media Player?)

So, are you satisfied when you find a page sayign "hey, this is the
solution" or are you satisfied when you find a solution that works? Well
I am not going to be satisfied if only one or two players play mp3 on
SuSE and solutions are out of ordinary non-techie user's reach.

Do we want an OpenSuSE that require user to do a lot of
post-configuration or do we want a product works out-of-the-box? Which
one compete better with Vista?