  • From: Robert Smits <bob@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 19:38:38 -0800
On Monday 29 January 2007 11:25, Bryan S. Tyson wrote:

> The existence of ogg means that we do have a choice. I never said anything
> about forcing anyone to release content in ogg. What I said was, if the
> content is mp3 only, reject it. Do not use, and especially do not pay for,
> mp3 files. Insisting on open formats means less content to choose from.
> Apparently you (and sadly, most of the public) would rather be enslaved to
> the whims of patent holders than give up some entertainment choices and be
> free.

SOME MATERIAL IS ONLY AVAILABLE IN MP3!

In my case, fully 90% of the programs I collect are in .mp3 format. It's silly
to suggest I cut myself off from 90% of the material available.

If .mp3 hadn't been the first compression method to become widely used, there
might be a chance to switch to .ogg, but because it was the first one widely
adopted an awful lot of people use it. They already have an investment of
time (and bandwidth) in their present format, and they don't care about the
proprietary/open software issue.

Even if we do care about the issue, and I do, I'm not going to stop using .mp3
anytime soon because whether I ask for it or not, the other collectors aren't
going to stop using .mp3.

Mp3 is a format that will need to be supported for a long time. Of course
patents expire sooner than copyrights.

--
Bob Smits bob@xxxxxxxxx

In most countries selling harmful things like drugs is punishable.
Then how come people can sell Microsoft software and go unpunished?
--Hasse Skrifvars