Re: [opensuse] cron job email attachment.bin
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 01:11:26 +0100 (CET)

The Monday 2007-01-29 at 12:03 -0900, John Andersen wrote:

> On Monday 29 January 2007, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> > > The server is running Suse 9.2.
> >
> > I hope it is not exposed, that is no longer maintained.
> >

> Carlos, a linux install does not become instantly vulnerable
> because it falls from maintenance. I know of many places
> running backlevel servers, which have so few ports open
> that they are quite safe.

Of course, I know that.

> By exposed, I suppose you mean not behind a firewall or
> a router.

I mean not exposed to internet (sp. as a server), or acting as a server in
an environment where it could be attacked.

It is chancy: a very secure system might be sucesfully atacked, and an old
one, unmantained, may stay intact for years.

> My general theory is that a linux machine used by humans
> at the keyboard is 500 time more likely to be hacked than
> one uses solely as a server or firewall/router. Of course
> I can't prove this with numbers since the last machine of
> mine that was rooted was RedHat 5.2 while it was STILL
> under maintenance.

Reminds me... a friend just phoned to tell me there is a price (10000Eur?)
for somebody breaking Vista. But I'm no "cracker", no idea what to search
for, so... no price for me. :-p

- --
Cheers,
Carlos E. R.