Re: [opensuse] Getting VMware to see thru SuSE Firewall
  • From: John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 12:17:47 -0900
On Monday 29 January 2007, riccardo35@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> After the 'High' of getting the Firmware for Speedtouch 536 set-up and
> connected to ADSL . . .
>
> the next 'prob' :-
>
> VMware virtual ethernet vmnet was using NAT, but have re-configured
> vmware to Bridged network, as suggested by vmware config-wizard,
>
> BUT, with the switch from Dial-Up, to ADSL thru Ethernet Card, does not
> allow vmware to see the Internet :(
>
> WHAT, please, must I look for to Open in SuSE Firewall ?
>

> thanks
> ___

Which wizard suggested that switch?

IMHO: its a BAD IDEA(tm)

1)Bridged requires that your nic be aliased (run in promiscuous mode)
and it requires that it obtain an additional IP via dhcp. While
this is usually possible on a real nic, its quite likely that dial-up
or ADSL will nor support more than one IP per nic. Neither
will many (if not most) wireless nics. This is usually a show stopper.

2)Bridged exposes your VM to the net which in turn means you
have to start worrying about running a firewall in the VM and
all the other issues you encounter when putting a machine on
the net.

This is the beauty of VmWare nat. First, it just works. Second it
provides a layer of protection to the VMs, allowing you to run
vulnerable OSs there (read Windows) without the need to run
resource hogging virus scanners.

So, short answer: Even if point 1 didn't kill you, point 2
makes it a bad idea.

This is most likely NOT a firewall issue. Bridged runs beside your
firewall, not behind it.

--
John Andersen