Re: [opensuse] cron job email attachment.bin
  • From: John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 12:03:14 -0900
On Monday 29 January 2007, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> > The server is running Suse 9.2.
>
> I hope it is not exposed, that is no longer maintained.

Carlos, a linux install does not become instantly vulnerable
because it falls from maintenance. I know of many places
running backlevel servers, which have so few ports open
that they are quite safe.

By exposed, I suppose you mean not behind a firewall or
a router. But think of this: When was the last update to
the router's software done? These things sit there in the
open, usually for their entire life without an update.

My general theory is that a linux machine used by humans
at the keyboard is 500 time more likely to be hacked than
one uses solely as a server or firewall/router. Of course
I can't prove this with numbers since the last machine of
mine that was rooted was RedHat 5.2 while it was STILL
under maintenance.

--
John Andersen