Re: [opensuse] cron job email attachment.bin
  • From: Sandy Drobic <suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 16:08:27 +0100
Dave Howorth wrote:
Sandy Drobic wrote:

If there are characters in the mail not covered by ascii7 mail is
automatically send as "application/octet-stream". This might happen if
you have file names with strange characters.

Good idea. But there's nothing greater than 122 ('z') in attachment.bin.

Well, something is in your backup result that causes nail not to see the text as ascii7.

>> Instead of directly mailing the output you could save it into a file and
use mime::lite to send it.

Sorry, it's not me that's mailing this. It's cron.

Then change your script to use mime::lite to send the report. Tell your script to store the output in a file and use
perl -e 'use MIME::Lite; $msg = MIME::Lite->new(From => 'sender@xxxxxxxxxxx',To => 'recipient@xxxxxxxxxxx', Subject => 'backup result', Date => `date`, Type => 'text/plain', Encoding => 'base64', Path => '/path/to/backup/report/',);'

to send the report.
The entire expression is one line.

You should probably update your server, 9.2 is no longer supported.

Yes, it's in the queue of things to do :) I would have moved to 10.1
but that seemed to be a real dog, so now I'm being even more cautious
before moving to 10.2.

Due to installation trouble with 10.1 and 10.2 I decided to upgrade to 10.0 only.

--
Sandy

List replies only please!