Re: [opensuse] cron job email attachment.bin
  • From: Dave Howorth <dhoworth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 13:46:44 +0000
Carlos E. R. wrote:
> The Monday 2007-01-29 at 10:04 -0000, Dave Howorth wrote:
>> My daily backup script on a server mails the output to me (it's a cron
>> job run by root). Recently, instead of sending me a plain text email
>> message, it's started sending me an empty email with an attachment
>> called 'attachment.bin'. This is just a plain text file with the same
>> old content.
>
> How is it done? Look at the script.

It's cron. /etc/crontab => /usr/lib/cron/run-crons => etc etc =>
/root/bin/cron.daily.local

(/usr/lib/cron/run-crons is the script that actually create and sends
the mail, I think:
if [ -n "${STATUS}" -o "$SEND_MAIL_ON_NO_ERROR" = true ] ; then
mail ${SEND_TO} -s "${TITLE}" < ${CONTROL_MAIL}
fi
)

>> The only notable difference I can see in the messages is this header:

> I don't think that matters. I mean, that's not the origin.

Not sure what you mean by that?

>> I certainly haven't deliberately changed any settings, but is there a
>> setting somewhere that controls this header?
>
> In the mail program used.

There's a header that says: User-Agent: nail 11.4 8/29/04. According to
it's manpage, it seems the choice is automatic.

>> Does it depend on the
>> settings on intermediate boxes that the mail passes through?
>
> No, it should not.

Hmm, I still have no clue where to look :(

>> The server is running Suse 9.2.
>
> I hope it is not exposed, that is no longer maintained.

No, it's internal. Upgrading is on my TODO list.

Thanks, Dave