Re: [opensuse] Mac OS X and Linux Product inter-compatibility?
  • From: Johannes Meixner <jsmeix@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 10:56:11 +0100 (CET)

Hello,

On Jan 27 14:33 Hylton Conacher(ZR1HPC) wrote (shortened):
> Hardware, specifically printers, include a list of operating systems
> which the product is known to work. For example purposes: Windows
> and Mac OS X are supported and no mention is made of Linux or UNIX.

Buy a PostScript printer because this works independent form the
operating system or buy at least a printer which supports PCL5e.

For basic information see
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Purchasing_a_Printer_and_Compatibility
and
http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/OpenPrinting/Database/SuggestedPrinters

For details see
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Information_for_Printer_Manufacturers_Regarding_Linux_Support

By the way 1:

If you like to print, scan, and copy regardles of the operating system
even via network, think about a solid all-in-one printer/scanner/copier
device with a built-in (color) PostScript level 3 printer.

Normally one can scan directly on such a big and fat
network-printer/scanner/copier and specify scan resolution
and image file format (e.g. PDF) and all the other scanning
options directly at the device and in particular one can
specify an e-mail address to which the device will send the
scanned images so that one will receive them as mail attachment
according to what was specified as image file format.

This way of operating is much more convenient for the user because
when you would use a SANE (scanning software for Linux) driver,
you would have to specify all the scanning parameters on your
workstation by using a SANE user-frontend.
But your workstation is normally far away from the network scanner
so that you would have to place a sheet in the network scanner and
post a big red note on the network scanner that you are currently
using it for scanning so that others know what is going on and don't
remove your sheet, then walk back to your workstation to specify
the scanning parameters and start the scan and finally you would
have to walk again to the network scanner to fetch your sheet and
remove your note and walk back to your workstation.
Of course this way of operating is much better for the physical
health of the company staff ;-)

By the way 2:

Of course solid PostScript printers are expensive but there are
models which are really worth the money (which does not mean
that any PostScript printer is worth its money).
I think that regardless how you decide, you have to pay
the matching "price" either way.
Either you pay once for a solid PostScript printer and never
again care about which operating system in which version may
support it or not, or you buy a cheap printer and then you must
care again and again which operating system in which version
supports it with which driver in which version to which extent.
If your time costs (almost) nothing, buy a cheap printer ;-)

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
--
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5 Mail: jsmeix@xxxxxxx