Re: [opensuse] XEN and Athlon 64 Processor support question.
  • From: "David Bottrill" <david@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 08:02:56 -0000 (UTC)

John Pierce wrote:
> I have an athlon 64 processor 2.0 Ghz and I am considering upgrading
> the processor to X2 dual core.
>
> I am looking at this processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2.20GHz / 2MB
> Cache / 1000MHz FSB / Toledo / Dual-Core / Socket 939 / OEM /
> Processor
>
> I want to know if anyone can tell me if it supports full
> virtualization, I read the wiki about xen source and amd processors
> and I am not sure. I want to avoid paravirtualization, as I would
> like to put suse 10.2 in on virtual machine and win2k in another.

I've recently had the same quandary and did plenty of research, the best
definition of what AMD chips have the pacifica feature is "any Socket AM2
CPU that supports DDR2 RAM".

I then tried to find a suitable motherboard, I did read that it certainly
works with the NForce 590 chipset. In the end I gambled and bought a cheap
ASrock motherboard, with integrated Video this was based on the NForce 430
chipset and Nvidia 6100 graphics. My gamble paid off and I'm rather
pleased with my new server. I am using a X2 3800 CPU.

--
David Bottrill

david@xxxxxxxxxxxx
www.bottrill.org