  • From: John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 13:06:26 -0900
On Sunday 28 January 2007, Charles R. Buchanan wrote:
> Using that analogy, then why doesn't the "consortium" that adopts TCP/IP
> protocols charge for every use of the internet?  I mean it is used for
> email, and file transfer, buying, selling and everyone is making money,

Actually this is only partially germane, because while mp3 was initially
developed by a "consortium" it was further modified by the patent holders.

They essentially are patenting algorithms etc, which may or may not
be legal anywhere, and might well be struck down. They also claim
that these patents cover aac and other formats, but they have not
attempted to enforce this because doing so puts their entire portfolio
at risk.

TCP/IP was created by darpa IIRC.

--
John Andersen