Re: [opensuse] /etc/resolv.conf
  • From: John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 12:38:27 -0900
On Sunday 28 January 2007, riccardo35@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> IF one needs two ISPs :
>
> - is it permissable to enter TWO domains and two sets of DNS numbers
>
> in /etc/resolv.conf ??
>

> thanks

It may be permissable but bear in mind that the DNS nameservers
are not used like you might expect.

Only AFTER the first nameserver times out or actively refuses connection
will the second one be tried. If the first name server is available the second
third, etc. will never be used.

So using one name server from each provider is usually sufficient.

I'm not sure about the domains bit, I think they are only used
to tack on to host names that do not contain a domain. Someone
is sure to correct me on this point if I am wrong.