  • From: "M. Fioretti" <mfioretti@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 19:57:51 +0100
On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 10:35:51 AM -0800, charles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(charles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> I'm not questioning the rights of creators to get paid for what they
> do, my big problem is the way this has come about

Same here.

> I might just have to try that other format someone mentioned
> earlier.

*If* by this you mean ripping all the CDs you purchased to OGG format
instead of MP3, remember that this doesn't solve anything legally.

If you did that and the police or the recording industry found out, of
course you or your Linux distributor would not be sued for using a
codec against its license. But _you_ would still be sued for copyright
infringement (of the music, not the codec).

Unless, of course, you live in a country where format shifting is
already legal.

HTH,
Marco

--
Marco Fioretti mfioretti, at the server mclink.it
Fedora Core 3 for low memory http://www.rule-project.org/

May your campfire always burn bright