  • From: Marcus Meissner <meissner@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 10:31:35 +0100
On Sat, Jan 27, 2007 at 06:53:38PM -0900, John Andersen wrote:
> On Saturday 27 January 2007, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
> > Study shows not every "ordinary users" actually use google to search for
> > a solution when they got a problem. So if people have to search for how
> > to enable mp3, we already know many people has given up. And also study
> > shows even in opensource world, only 1/7 people go ask questions on
> > forum or mailing list. So if a google search doesn't leads to a workable
> > solution, 6/7 people perhaps give up, only 1/7 will post something like
> > me. Well perhaps only a very few percent will have a true hacker's
> > spirit and hack down a solution when questions on forum/lists doesn't
> > get a solution.
>

> I would like NOVELL to publish an exact and complete and CONSOLIDATED
> change log of every package they intentionally cripple in their quest to
> appease the lawyers, and the methods used to cripple these packages.
>
> Further, since the patent holders of mp3 state on their web page that you
> DO NOT NEED A LICENSE for home use I would like Novell to make
> available repositories that are FREE but never included in their boxed
> sets which overcome and reverse all crippling.
>
> Reference:
> http://www.mp3licensing.com/help/index.html
>
> QUOTE:
> "
> However, no license is needed for private, non-commercial activities
> (e.g., home-entertainment, receiving broadcasts and creating a
> personal music library), not generating revenue or other consideration
> of any kind or for entities with associated annual gross revenue less than
> US$ 100 000.00.

First ... Try reading and understanding the whole page.

The heading of your quoted part is:
"4) Do I need a license to stream mp3, mp3PRO or mp3surround encoded
content over the Internet?"

So it is just about _content_ not about _software_.

The page does clarify MP3 decoding software only in point (1):
1) Do you license mp3, mp3PRO and mp3surround software to end users?
No. We license mp3/mp3PRO software and patents to developers and
manufacturers of software applications and hardware devices.

So there is need for a license for _all_ mp3 software under conditions
not specified on this page.

CIao, Marcus