Re: [opensuse] display size
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 00:24:52 -0500
On 2007/01/26 15:31 (GMT+0100) Istvan Gabor apparently typed:

> Felix Miata wrote:

>> I'd like to suggest that if nice fonts matter to you, that you at least test...

> Now turning back to your advice, changing the resolution to
> higher: I would like to keep 1024x768 @ 85Hz (LG Flatron 17"

Any particular reason why you prefer this common low resolution to high
quality? (high resolution = high quality, so the higher the resolution,
the better quality of detail, just like in a high resolution satellite
photo or high resolution scanner)

> CRT monitor, 16" diagonal viewable). Setting dimensions to the
> real monitor values (325x244 mm) gives ~80 DPI.

> What if I raise DPI by applying false dimensions, eg 271x203
> mm (what should give ~96 DPI)?

Fonts and system windows will be bigger. You'll be seeing things much
like a typical windoz user sees things, as 96 is the default on doz, and
your display size is pretty common.

> Or setting dimensions to 345x260 mm what should give ~75 DPI?

Fonts and system windows will be smaller, and fonts generally less well
defined on account of being created using fewer px per any given
physical size character.

> Which one would be better and how does it affect resolution for
> other stuff than fonts?

You have to try and see what suits you. That's why I wrote what I wrote
originally (quoted above).
--
"I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."
John 10:10 NIV

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409