  • From: John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 18:53:38 -0900
On Saturday 27 January 2007, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
> Study shows not every "ordinary users" actually use google to search for
> a solution when they got a problem. So if people have to search for how
> to enable mp3, we already know many people has given up. And also study
> shows even in opensource world, only 1/7 people go ask questions on
> forum or mailing list. So if a google search doesn't leads to a workable
> solution, 6/7 people perhaps give up, only 1/7 will post something like
> me. Well perhaps only a very few percent will have a true hacker's
> spirit and hack down a solution when questions on forum/lists doesn't
> get a solution.

I would like NOVELL to publish an exact and complete and CONSOLIDATED
change log of every package they intentionally cripple in their quest to
appease the lawyers, and the methods used to cripple these packages.

Further, since the patent holders of mp3 state on their web page that you
DO NOT NEED A LICENSE for home use I would like Novell to make
available repositories that are FREE but never included in their boxed
sets which overcome and reverse all crippling.

Reference:
http://www.mp3licensing.com/help/index.html

QUOTE:
"
However, no license is needed for private, non-commercial activities
(e.g., home-entertainment, receiving broadcasts and creating a
personal music library), not generating revenue or other consideration
of any kind or for entities with associated annual gross revenue less than
US$ 100 000.00.

Since OPENSUSE does not GENERATE any revenue and has to be funded
by NOVELL in order to survive it seems to fit this definition.