[opensuse] find error in SuSE 9.2- dot changed during execution
Ok, from the REALLY BASIC QUESTION department, why does find fail with "find . changed during execution of find" when I search from the root? This is a Suse 9.2 installation on a PIII with 640mb of RAM. Really. It boots from a small IDE drive where most of Linux is but there's also two different raid arrays attached, one SATA on a 3Ware card, one SCSI.

Example:

# find / -name smb.conf
[finds some files and reports them
find: . changed during execution of find

#

Often I get no results from the find before it returns that error, although this example does return 4 results. What should I be doing instead?

The kiss originated when the first male reptile licked the
first female reptile, implying in a subtle, complimentary way that she
was as succulent as the small reptile he had for dinner the night
before. --F. Scott Fitzgerald (1896-1940)
tpeters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (remove "nospam") N9QQB (amateur radio)
"HEY YOU" (loud shouting) WEB ADDRESS http//www.mixweb.com/tpeters
43° 7' 17.2" N by 88° 6' 28.9" W, Elevation 815', Grid Square EN53wc
WAN/LAN/Telcom Analyst, Tech Writer, MCP, CCNA, Registered Linux User 385531