[opensuse] Re: Virtualization and printing
  • From: Eberhard Roloff <tuxebi@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 15:30:39 +0100
M Harris wrote:

> On Friday 26 January 2007 04:30, Hylton Conacher(ZR1HPC) wrote:
>> So the questions asked are:
>> 1. Can the base OS(OpenSUSE) use the VM OS printer?
>> 2. Can CUPS be configured to print to/forward print requests to a VM OS
>> printer?
>>
>> Now, what say ye?
> I see ...
>
> ... says the carpenter who picked up a hammer and saw...
>
> Well, I've never done it that way, but assuming the win VM truly functions
> as a real network win box, and assuming the win VM can aquire a lock to
> the hardware port, then the win VM printer can be "shared" just like any
> other real win printer. In that case the linux box would print to the
> shared win device as an SMB shared printer. This also assumes that the
> native linux firewall allows win VM share through. I mean its
> theoretically possible, and somebody somewhere has probably done it -- but
> not I says me.
>
> Sorry I'm no help here. On the other hand, I really would strongly
> recommend that you find a native driver for the 800+ (also not familiar
> with that one) and configure it native via CUPS. You'll probably find that
> the linux driver
> for the 800 also covers the 800+. Also, you might want to contact the
> CUPS people and post your question there... they are quite good and very
> responsive--- also, they probably have a driver that will work for you.

Fully agreed. I would think that if all you want is to print greatly from
linux, this setup will print, but will most probably not work to really
enhance the quality of your linux print jobs to the quality that the native
epson driver achieves in windows.
For this you might try the turboprint driver http://www.turboprint.info/ (I
have no clue, whether they support the 800+) or you choose to use
manufacturers who support Linux natively like HP.

regards
Eberhard