[opensuse] Re: KDE Cleanup
  • From: Eberhard Roloff <tuxebi@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 14:49:14 +0100
David Bolt wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Jan 2007, Jay Smith
> <susehelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:-
>
>>So I just had someone bring in a notebook that had SuSE on it, 10.2.
>>His friend
>>got all this crap on his desktop and asked me if it was possible to
>>clean it up.
>
> Of course it's possible.
>
>>By that he means erase history from Ark and Kaffeine and all that good
>>stuff.
>
> No problem.

>>honestly don't know, I would just tell him to reinstall the OS
>
> Why on earth would you suggest a reinstall to get rid of program
> histories?!?
>
>>but that can be a
>>pain since you can't have YaST2 memorize your packages.
>
> It can remember what you installed initially. That's what the "clone
> this system" box does.
>
>>Anyone know how to clear
>>history on like Ark
>
> Assuming he's using KDE, just delete the file
> $HOME/.kde/share/config/arkrc
>
>>and Kaffeine
>
> Open Kaffeine and choose the menu Settings -> Configure Kaffeine Player.
> Click on the Misc icon and then click on the clear button.
>
>>? If not, I'll just have him reinstall and not
>>let anyone borrow his notebook anymore lol.
>
> There's absolutely no need for that. If all he's wanting is to delete
> histories, that's a serious waste of time. It's still serious overkill
> even if he wants to revert to how everything was at first login. Again,
> for KDE, just log in at a console and delete $HOME/.kde. The next time
> he uses the KDE desktop, the directory will be recreated and all
> applications will revert to the default configuration.

While I basically agree, it has to be said, that with deleting ~/.kde, any
configuration and data of many kde programs will be lost. I had a case
where someone lost all of his mail (kmail) and several hundred addresses,
doing just that.
So it is wise to move .kde to .kde.org or something, just in case.

regards
Eberhard