Re: [opensuse] KDE Cleanup
  • From: David Bolt <bcrafhfr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 02:45:40 +0000
On Fri, 26 Jan 2007, Jay Smith <susehelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:-

>So I just had someone bring in a notebook that had SuSE on it, 10.2.
>His friend
>got all this crap on his desktop and asked me if it was possible to
>clean it up.

Of course it's possible.

>By that he means erase history from Ark and Kaffeine and all that good
>stuff.

No problem.

>honestly don't know, I would just tell him to reinstall the OS

Why on earth would you suggest a reinstall to get rid of program
histories?!?

>but that can be a
>pain since you can't have YaST2 memorize your packages.

It can remember what you installed initially. That's what the "clone
this system" box does.

>Anyone know how to clear
>history on like Ark

Assuming he's using KDE, just delete the file
$HOME/.kde/share/config/arkrc

>and Kaffeine

Open Kaffeine and choose the menu Settings -> Configure Kaffeine Player.
Click on the Misc icon and then click on the clear button.

>? If not, I'll just have him reinstall and not
>let anyone borrow his notebook anymore lol.

There's absolutely no need for that. If all he's wanting is to delete
histories, that's a serious waste of time. It's still serious overkill
even if he wants to revert to how everything was at first login. Again,
for KDE, just log in at a console and delete $HOME/.kde. The next time
he uses the KDE desktop, the directory will be recreated and all
applications will revert to the default configuration.

Regards,
David Bolt

--
Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 50 Mnodes/s: http://www.distributed.net/
AMD1800 1GB WinXP/SUSE 9.3 | AMD2400 256MB SuSE 9.3 | A3010 4MB RISCOS 3.11