Re: [opensuse] Have 4G, any reason to use x86_64 over i386?
  • From: John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 15:16:06 -0900
On Friday 26 January 2007 14:54, Linda Walsh wrote:
>       Hmm....maybe I should just try making a kernel that doesn't need
> a ramdisk and has all needed modules compiled in.  Will keep that in mind
> though...thanks for the heads up!

Why bother?
How much improvement do you thing you will gain? I stopped compiling
kernels when Hubert Mantel started publishing his KOD, and only used the
to gain access to stuff I could not get without it. Since 8.1 I have
never found any compelling reason to compile a kernel on a norma workstation
or server.

>         Right now, I have so many modules (lsmod) that are loaded but I don't
> have hardware for -- why does it do that?!  It may be they load during some
> hardware probing, but I wish they'd unload the unneeded part when they
> were done.  Seems like that's another area for saving memory.

Is that what this whole thread is about, a small memory machine?
The title suggest you have 4gig, so why are you worrying about memory?

I can't believe you come anywhere near using 4gig unless you carrying
a huge database/server load, in which case there is probably a corresponding
budget to by more memory.